Rob showed up at Down By The River B and B, our southeastern AZ bnb, for the fourth time to film monsoon lightening (click here to see one of the spectacular shots that he got this year). When we have returning guests, we like to offer different menu items. He had been served all of the different recipes that we had in our repertoire over the past 4 years. Simply put, we experimented on him. We keep our eyes open for new and tasty entrees and found a recipe for crab quiche. After some experimentation, we revised the recipe to work for us.
This recipe actually was easily modified, with great success, for a guest who was gluten intolerant. All the other guests had the same item and wouldn’t have known that it was gluten free if we hadn’t told them. Now we have another recipe that is flexible and can be used as a gluten free breakfast substitute.
You can whip this up and put it in the oven immediately or you can do like we do at the B & B and make this up the day before and let it rest in the refrigerator overnight.
- 8 oz can Shredded crab meat (If using fresh crab slightly precook in a microwave.
- You can also use the imitation Krab which is already precooked.)
- 3 – Green onions chopped
- 4 – Large eggs
- 1/2 cup Bisquick ( For gluten free dishes, use gluten free Bisquick or you can use a gluten free pancake mix. )
- 1 1/4 cups Whole Milk
- 1/4 cup Melted butter
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- Grease 9” pie pan
- Place the crab meat and onions into the pie pan.
- Put the butter, milk, pepper and eggs together in a bowl and beat until blended.
- Add the Bisquick to the bowl and blend until smooth.
- Pour over the crab and onions.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Cover and put in refrigerator overnight.
In the morning take the quiche out for about 30 minutes and preheat the oven to 375o F.
Bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until the center is raised and the top is golden brown.
Take out and let sit to cool about 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
We serve this with many side dishes including French toast, pancakes, scones or fruit and yogurt. The quiche goes with most anything you want to have with it.